Sunday, December 5, 2010

Song for a Winter's Night

It's cold and snowy here in Central Canada. So nice to stay inside where it's warm and watch a lovely fanvid. This one puts two of my faves together -- my favourite miniseries with a song by one of my favourite Canadian songwriter /performers.

Yorkshirewench has graciously allowed me to post her North and South video Song for a Winter's Night by Gordon Lightfoot.

The password is: butterfly
North & South - Thornton/Margaret - Song For A Winter's Night from yorkshirewench on Vimeo.

I hope it will play for you!



Here are the lyrics to this beautiful song by Gordon Lightfoot.

Song for a Winter Night

The lamp is burnin' low upon my table top
The snow is softly falling
The air is still in the silence of my room
I hear your voice softly calling

If I could only have you near
To breathe a sigh or two
I would be happy just to hold the hands I love
On this winter night with you

The smoke is rising in the shadows overhead
My glass is almost empty
I read again between the lines upon the page
The words of love you sent me

If I could know within my heart
That you were lonely too
I would be happy just to hold the hands I love
On this winter night with you

The fire is dying now, my lamp is growing dim
The shades of night are lifting
The morning light steals across my window pane
Where webs of snow are drifting

If I could only have you near
To breathe a sigh or two
I would be happy just to hold the hands I love
And to be once again with with you
To be once again with with you

5 comments:

NovemberBride said...

awww, nice Phylly! Gordon, John and Margaret! Due to being down with a bug, I watched The Vicar yesterday. Time for a rewatch of N&S. Sigh...just can't watch it too many times. Thanks for sharing!
PS Just read your Tarzan and SoM posts...both close to my aged heart!! Every time I watch SoM (YES! I have the 40th anniversay edition!!) my hubs walks thru and says "you're watching THAT again?" Same with Gone With the Wind and To Kill a Mockingbird.

Avalon said...

Keep warm!

RAFrenzy said...

It played perfectly for me, and I love that video. Hope you're staying warm!

Fanny/iz4blue said...

Lovely Post! I love such a rich warm voice, just instantly warms the bones! When I came to the US it was to a house filled with traditional & irish folk music and this singer reminds me of Bill Staines and Stan Rogers. Looking them up I found out that Stan Rogers is from Halifax and has passed it. Here is a melancholic Xmas song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chTMOuuUZi4
It got so cold here too, this was perfect timing!

Phylly3 said...

@NovemberBride -- Hope you are feeling better soon. Some good old movies you just can't get tired of watching!
Thanks for visiting!
@Avalon -- Yep. My sweaters are really getting good use now.
@Frenz-- Glad it the video worked. This time of year I don't mind the odd hot flash! LOL
@iz4blue -- Oh! Stan Rogers is one of Canada's treasures! His song "The Northwest Passage" some people consider a better Canadian folk song than Gordon Lightfoot's "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" or "Canadian Railway Trilogy". I do like that last song the best. That's why I have it on my very first blog post!