Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Titanic's band

What sticks in my mind the most about everything that happened 100 years ago today, on the last night on the Titanic, is the image of the ship's band playing on while the ship was sinking.  It might seem crazy to be playing music in the midst of a disaster but to my mind it was nothing short of heroic.  I am sure the band members must have felt the same panic and terror as everyone.  Their role was to try to keep people calm, and the only way they could do so was with music.  There is still some disagreement about what was played as their final song but that really isn't important.  What is important was that they played their music and the survivors remembered them and were grateful for that final gift.

Here is a tribute to the Titanic's Band:

6 comments:

Jonia's cut said...

This was very heroic, but they loved music so much, that this death was much more bearable.

Phylly3 said...

That's what I thought too. Nice to see you Jonia! :)

Fanny/iz4blue said...

I'm not sure how heroic they felt, most unbelievable how they were able to continue playing with the surrounding chaos

MaryKwizMiz said...

thanks for the entertainment and edumacation :).. I often hear the Titanic band referenced and even wanted to use the question about the last song in my quiz but as you said, it's debated.. still - it's a wonderful and uplifting story (that was not intended to be abad pun ;).. and lovely music.
thanks :D

Phylly3 said...

From what I've read, the people we call heroes don't think of themselves as "heroic". They are just people who do what the situation calls for no matter how difficult that might be. But that kind of stoic bravery is heroic indeed!

Phylly3 said...

The song in the video is "Nearer My God to Thee" which is a hauntingly beautiful last tribute. The other song which some say was the final song was "Autumn" but I couldn't find a good video of it.